August 5, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Day 5-Blue

I was really excited for blue. I went in with a firm idea of what I was going to do, got the colors all ready, and set out to work.

And after I started, I quickly realized my plan had fallen apart.

I intended to do a night sky for today's challenge. Easy enough, right? It was mostly just a modified galaxy design. But then the blue-ness got lost in it, and by the end of trying to fix it, it seemed too barren and plain. So I added a city skyline to my night sky and thought, "Yeah, this looks pretty good. But the buildings are kind of lost against the background." So I added some lights on the buildings. And it looked better, but still, it didn't pop out, it more blurred together still. So I added a matte top coat. And after that, I gave up because there was nothing else I could think to do.

And it doesn't look outright horrible, I think. It just could do with improving. For one, using a black gradient in the background was the reason the buildings blended in so much. For another, my stars were huge because the striper brush I was using had really thick, clumpy polish and it was hard to make small dots. And lastly, the lights in the buildings streaked when I added the top coat (but that's impatience for you).

(And by the way, no, these aren't the same pictures, I was just feeling uncreative today.)
I was so excited for blue. But it didn't quite go as planned. Oh well. At least we're halfway through the colors. It's not that I don't like doing the colors, it's just that I can find them a little boring. There's no real direction or straightforwardness which I like in a challenge. 

Colors used:
Shower Together-China Glaze
Metal Head-Icing
Black Rage-Pure Ice


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)