August 27, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Day 27-Inspired by Art

I knew 'Inspired by Art' was going to be a difficult day. I spent a while thinking about what kind of artwork I wanted to do. Right off the bat, I knew I didn't want to do any recreations of famous paintings or anything. A) That would be so hard (not that I'm shying away from a bit of hard work- I love really getting into nail work that take maybe an hour or two or even more- but I wasn't really prepared to do that. I don't really have grade-A brushes, and my paints are limited) and B) I feel like that would be the obvious route. And while there have been many many talented artists, I've never really been one to get really stuck on a certain era, or artist, or whatnot. And then I thought of an idea I'd been mulling over a while. Stained glass!

I'm pretty happy with how these turned out.... Okay, happy isn't the right word. Ecstatic, that's more like it. These pictures hardly do them justice; the light bounces off all the wrong places, making it look so bumpy and harsh. But in real life, it has a more subtle, glossy effect. I was so lucky to have the colors I used; they were the perfect 'church-y' stained glass colors I was looking for. Now, I'm not a super religious person, but I adore stained glass windows usually found in places of worship, especially the range of beautiful colors used. 
I'm most proud of the thumb. I think the shapes worked best there. It would have been neat if I'd actually tried to make a picture in these instead of just random colors, but I think they still turned out pretty well. And they were so easy to do. I'm considering doing a tutorial on these. Would anyone be interested in that? Because I can't emphasize how easy this was, even with my non-dominant hand. 
I just... I love them. So much. I will so be sporting these again (probably soon, too). I keep staring at my nails and admiring everything about them; the colors, the effect, everything. I don't think I can say 'I love them' anymore without it losing meaning. 

Colors Used:
Wined Up, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri
Next CEO, Nicole by OPI
Blue Steel, Fresh Paint
Starling, Funky Fingers
Black acrylic paint




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)